Friday, October 25, 2013

The LGB Collector -- A Lifetime Story Part 3

The following is a translation of "The LGB Collector", an article by H.-Jürgen Neumann from Spring 2006. Mr. Neumann published it in his own IIm-Online News web page. You can read the original article  at http://www.lgb-much.de/20406.pdf and use a Google translation or similar. To avoid mixing-ups in context with Yours Truly you will find "(HJN)", the abbreviation for H.-Jürgen Neumann,  in places were the original author refers to himself since the article is about his lifelong journey being a dyed-in-the-wool LGB fan.

I always had some repairs with me alongside a number of wishes and requests from our club members especially those looking for spare parts. Those wishes were promptly worked on upon my arrival. And it went without saying that I joined their breakfast break at 9.00 a.m. Of course I made sure that coffee and doughnuts were on me. Only then I went to see the 'bosses' and other departments.
Mrs. Grimm headed and managed her "Grimm's spare parts department" for many years at the Annual LGB Club Conventions; which she organized for years in co-operation with her husband who also worked for LGB as head of assembling. Club members took their LGB worries and pains mostly in form of their engines and cars to her 'booth' were most of them found help right away. Tougher cases were taken back to the factory after the convention and returned  to their owners by mail. Every year when I attend the International Toy Fair in Nuremberg I stay at the "Pensione Grimm" and every evening then we go for dinner to the "Golden Hirsch" to reminisce about old times and exchange news.
LGB Factory and all of their employees in 1997 (image added by Yours Truly)
There were a whole slew of great men and women at LGB with whom I struck up great friendships over the years. In addition to Messrs. Wolfgang, Johannes and Rolf Richter I most often contacted Messrs Schnidtmann and Jagiella; Mr. Schnidtmann was heading the "DesignTuning" department while Mr. Jagiella heading the printing department was my go-to guy for all things printing/labeling on club cars. When Mrs. Grimm entered  her - well-deserved - retirement Mr. Thier followed her as head of repairs. He learned the ropes quickly and he supported me and the LGB Club very well and just the way I was used to. Mr. Biedenbacher is head of customer service and we always shared a wonderful co-operation and collaboration. I remember very well that for what reason ever he needed two really old manual switches. He got them instantly for free out of my personal 'stock'....
Then there was the time when Mr (Klaus) Baumann was still VP of Sales. Looking back it is a fact that he was responsible for quite a big chunk of Lehmann's success. He was always on the front lines, attending each and every fair and convention and took care of each and every LGB fan. TV appearances and spontaneous interviews were his daily bread - he just was a celebrated character. We always got along really well and had great collaborations. If the club had to assemble a layout within an (LGB) convention booth I just sat down with him briefly, talked it over and never heard from or saw him again until the convention opened. He just new I would do it right. I fondly remember my Friday-Appointments (with Klaus Baumann) at the LGB factory where we went for lunch to the Italian restaurant, company credit card in hand. On those occasions we exchanged ideas, general LGB- world news, and scheduled new appointments.
I also always liked to work with Mr. Bauer. Years ago we met by pure coincidence  and jointly celebrated New Years Eve at Hotel Badersee in Grainau (Bavaria). It's a small world after all-sometimes...
I also received a lot of help from Mr. Michel (head of purchasing) and Mr. Gall (Technical Director). Mrs. Gerl, the former Ms. Krueger, always welcomed me with a cup of coffee. Mrs. Aumer, Wolfgang Richter's personal secretary, secured my appointments with the bosses. In earlier years when Mr. Ottinger was still head of shipping&dispatch he helped me a great deal with brochures, pamphlets, and catalogs.+++++++++++++++++++to be continued+++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment